- Named for this summer's major construction project -- the shed for our new above-ground water tank.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|6.5||pounds||(54%)||American Wheat Malt|
|5.5||pounds||(46%)||Dingemans Pilsner Malt|
|1.0||ounce||U.S. Hallertauer whole hops, 4.0% AA (60 minutes)|
|1.0||ounce||U.S. Hallertauer whole hops, 4.0% AA (15 minutes)|
- White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Yeast, pitched at 70°F
- Starter: 3 quart starter, built up from tube (tube, 3 quarts), cooled, decanted, warmed
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 41.5 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet.
- 18 quarts mash water treated with:
- 3.6 ml 88% Lactic Acid.
- 23.5 quarts sparge water treated with:
- 3.8 ml 88% Lactic Acid.
- 18.0 quarts water @ 162°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 152°F (Held 90 minutes)
- 7.5 quarts water @ 210°F, drain
- 16 quarts water @ 168°F, drain
- Boiled 8.0 gallons for 75 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 65°F
- Secondary: glass, 7 days, 65°F
- Kegged with 80 grams dextrose
- Conditioned for 3 weeks
- Ready to drink on 3-Jul-2004
|Starting Gravity: 1.052||Final Gravity: 1.012|
|Original Extract: 12.9°plato||Apparent Extract: 3.07°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.93°plato|
|Alcohol: 5.2% by volume||(4.1% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 76.2%||Mash Efficiency: 67%|
|Bitterness: 19 IBU||Color: 5 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.37||BV: 0.79|
- 25-Jun-04 (4 weeks) -- One week after priming it tastes excellent. Spicy clove flavor, light in color, very drinkable. Clove flavor emphasized over bananna flavors. Still may be a bit sweet from the priming sugar.
- 6-Sep-04 (14 weeks) -- Great beer, cleared after about 8 weeks, but the clove and spice flavors still carry through. Excellent lighter beer and a great thirst quencher.
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|