- Named after our dog Buddy.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|7.0||pounds||(78%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|1.0||pound||(11%)||American Munich 10L|
|1.0||pound||(11%)||American Munich 30L|
|1.0||ounces||U.S. Willamette whole hops, 4.5% AA (first wort hop)|
|1.1||ounces||U.S. Cascade whole hops, 5.8% AA (60 minutes)|
|1.0||ounces||U.S. Cascade whole hops, 5.8% AA (1 minute)|
|0.25||teaspoon||Irish Moss (15 minutes)|
- White Labs WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast, pitched at 68°F
- Starter: 3 quart starter built up from a slant (20 ml -> 300 ml -> 3 quarts), cooled, decanted, warmed
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching, again three hours later
- Fairbanks city water
- 36.5 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet.
- 13.5 quarts mash water treated with:
- 4.0 grams Gypsum.
- 1.1 ml 88% Lactic Acid.
- 13.5 quarts water @ 157°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 148°F (Held 90 minutes)
- 23.0 quarts water @ 181°F, drain
- Boiled 8.0 gallons for 85 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 65°F, temperature from 63 - 66 degrees, 1.013 at transfer to secondary
- Secondary: glass, 7 days, 64°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 8 weeks
- Ready to drink on 18-Dec-2004
|Starting Gravity: 1.044||Final Gravity: 1.011|
|Original Extract: 11.0°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.81°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.35°plato|
|Alcohol: 4.3% by volume||(3.4% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 74.3%||Mash Efficiency: 73%|
|Bitterness: 30 IBU||Color: 8 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.68||BV: 1.41|
- 28-Nov-04 (7 weeks) -- Nice and clear, great copper color. Light, and easy to drink, but hop bitterness has a bit of strange bite to it that I can't put my finger on. Maybe the secondary fermentation was too short and there's still stuff in suspension. It probably needs to age another month.
- 23-Jan-05 (15 weeks) -- Almost gone. Still have a soapy aftertaste that I think is due to the Cascade hops. Taiga dog has the same flaw. I think I may not like Cascade for much other than dry hopping.
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|