- Named for last summer's major construction project -- the shed for our new above-ground water tank.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|6.0||pounds||(50%)||Dingemans Pilsner Malt|
|5.0||pounds||(42%)||Great Western White Wheat Malt|
|1.0||pound||(8%)||Briess Red Wheat Malt|
|1.0||ounce||U.S. Hallertauer whole hops, 4.3% AA (60 minutes)|
|1.0||ounce||U.S. Hallertauer whole hops, 4.3% AA (15 minutes)|
|0.25||teaspoon||Irish Moss (15 minutes)|
- White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Yeast, pitched at 68°F
- Starter: 3 quart starter (vial -> 3 quarts), continuously stirred, cooled, decanted, warmed
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 38.25 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet.
- 18 quarts mash water treated with:
- 3.6 ml 88% Lactic Acid.
- 18 quarts water @ 162°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 151°F (Held 90 minutes)
- 7.5 quarts water @ 210°F, drain
- 12.75 quarts water @ 168°F, drain
- Boiled 8.0 gallons for 75 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 8 days, 65°F, Temperature peaked at 72 F during active fermentation.
- Secondary: glass, 12 days, 65°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 3 weeks
- Ready to drink on 16-Jul-2005
|Starting Gravity: 1.054||Final Gravity: 1.014|
|Original Extract: 13.3°plato||Apparent Extract: 3.57°plato|
|Real Extract: 5.41°plato|
|Alcohol: 5.2% by volume||(4.1% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 73.2%||Mash Efficiency: 70%|
|Bitterness: 20 IBU||Color: 5 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.37||BV: 0.76|
- 27-Aug-2005 -- Excellent, as always. Fantastic banana and clove flavors, great head, very smooth and easy to drink. The yeast clears after a couple months, but it still tastes fantastic.
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|