- Recipe based on Jeff Renner's McGinty's Irish-American Red Ale, from the HBD. Named for our red dog Piper. I make this beer a lot and it's excellent.
7-Jun-2008 -- 8-Jun-2008
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|4||pounds||(41%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|3||pounds||(30%)||Briess 6-Row Malt|
|1||ounce||U.S. Fuggle whole hops, 4.5% AA (first wort hop)|
|1.5||ounces||U.S. Fuggle whole hops, 4.5% AA (60 minutes)|
- Wyeast 1056 American Ale, pitched at 72°F
- Starter: No starter, pitched directly from XL pack (100 billion cells, supposedly)
- Aeration: Drill aerator for three minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 37 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 15 quarts mash water treated with:
- 1 teaspoon Gypsum.
- 0.7 ml 88% lactic acid.
- 15 quarts water @ 167°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 152°F (Held 120 minutes), Temperature range: 155 - 149 F.
- 22 quarts water @ 180°F, drain
- Boiled 8.0 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 68°F
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 66°F, 1.012 at transfer.
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 2 weeks
- Ready to drink on 5-Jul-2008
|Starting Gravity: 1.041||Final Gravity: 1.010|
|Original Extract: 10.2°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.6°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.02°plato|
|Alcohol: 4.0% by volume||(3.2% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 75.0%||Mash Efficiency: 62%|
|Bitterness: 28 IBU||Color: 12 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.68||BV: 1.43|
- Excellent, as usual.
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|