- Named for our dog, Kiva, who we called devil dog because of her dark fur, bright blue eyes, and mischievous personality.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|9½||pounds||(58%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt (conditioned, gap 0.9 mm)|
|3||pounds||(18%)||Briess 6-Row Malt|
|3||pounds||(18%)||Breiss Rye Malt|
|1||pound||(6%)||Breiss Crystal 80L|
|1||ounce||Northern Brewer pellet hops, 6% AA (first wort hop)|
|2¼||ounces||German Herkules pellet hops, 15.7% AA (60 minutes)|
|2||ounces||UK Fuggles pellet hops, 4.3% AA (2 minutes)|
|¾||ounces||Willamette pellet hops, 5.2% AA (2 minutes)|
- Safale US-05 dry yeast, pitched at 68°F
- Starter: Pitched onto yeast cake from previous recipe (Cream Ale)
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 40¼ quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 19¾ quarts mash water treated with:
- 4½ ml 88% Lactic Acid.
- 19¾ quarts water @ 167°F, grist ratio of 1.2 quarts:pound @ 151°F (Held 90 minutes), 149°F at the end of the mash.
- 8½ quarts water @ 210°F, drain
- 12 quarts water @ 168°F, drain
- Vorlauf 6 q wort after each addition.
- Boiled 8 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5¾ gallons wort
- Wort prepared Saturday afternoon, boiled the next day. First wort hops remained in the wort overnight.
- Hard to maintain a steady boil with outside temperatures near −20°F.
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 64°F, temperature range 62–68°F, obvious fermentation within four hours of pitching, fermentation done on day 4, 1.020 on transfer to secondary.
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 68°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 8 weeks
- Ready to drink on 20-Feb-2016
|Starting Gravity: 1.080||Final Gravity: 1.020|
|Original Extract: 19.3°plato||Apparent Extract: 5.1°plato|
|Real Extract: 7.84°plato|
|Alcohol: 7.9% by volume||(6.1% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 73.8%||Mash Efficiency: 70%|
|Bitterness: 106 IBU||Color: 14 SRM|
|BU:SG: 1.32||BV: 2.77|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|