- Named for our cat Alexi, who died in 2003.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|6||pounds||(37%)||Briess 6-Row Malt (gap 0.7 mm)|
|6||pounds||(37%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|1||ounce||Golding pellet hops, 4.3% AA (first wort hop)|
|2||ounce||Northern Brewer pellet hops, 7.3% AA (60 minutes)|
|1||ounce||Golding pellet hops, 4.3% AA (1 minute)|
|10||drops||Five Star Defoamer 105 (90 minutes)|
- Safale US-05 dry yeast, pitched at 63°F
- Safale S-04 dry yeast, pitched at 63°F
- Starter: Started 15 minutes ahead in ¼ cup of 80°F water.
- Aeration: Drill aerator for three minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 40¼ quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 19½ quarts mash water treated with:
- 7 grams Gypsum.
- 1 ml 88% lactic acid.
- 16¼ quarts sparge water treated with:
- 3 ml 88% lactic acid.
- 24 quarts water @ 163°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 153°F (Held 2½ hours), Strike water at 173°F, temperature range 153—148°F.
- 10 quarts water @ 210°F, drain
- 6¼ quarts water @ 168°F, drain
- Boiled 8 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5½ gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 14 days, 63°F, Temperature peaked at 68°F.
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 68°F, 1.018 at transfer.
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 4 weeks
- Ready to drink on 10-Dec-2016
|Starting Gravity: 1.075||Final Gravity: 1.018|
|Original Extract: 18.2°plato||Apparent Extract: 4.6°plato|
|Real Extract: 7.22°plato|
|Alcohol: 7.5% by volume||(5.8% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 74.8%||Mash Efficiency: 71%|
|Bitterness: 51 IBU||Color: 16 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.68||BV: 1.45|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|